THE TOXIC STEW
Did you know that your skin is your LARGEST organ? Many of us learned that in school, and we have forgotten how important our skin is! It is amazing how highly absorbant your skin is and how quickly products can reach our bloodstream through our skin. THAT'S scary because we can have chemicals like: Imidazolidinyl Urea, Parabens, Phthalates, Triethanolamine, Polyethylene Glycols, Synthetic Colors, Synthetic Fragrances, and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in our BLOODSTREAM IN LESS THAN ONE MINUTE! Talk about a toxic bomb! These chemicals cause issues in our bodies such as breast tumors, ADD & ADHD in Children, Allergies, Dermatitis, respiratory distress & potential effects on the reproductive system according to the EWG.
The average woman uses about 12 personal care products a day. These products contain about 168 different chemicals according to the Environmental Working Group (EWG). This is a DAILY routine for some women, and even men that are using some of these personal care products! For this reason, we want to show you guys how to make this quick and easy HOMEMADE lotion with only FOUR ingredients! That's right! You can count them in your hand, and you will know EXACTLY what is in your lotion so that you can avoid the harmful effects of all of these toxic chemicals! We want to make sure we know what is in our lotion & ALL of our personal care products because even the natural ones contain scary ingredients! So just make your own! It's so easy & it doesn't take that long AT ALL!!!!!!!!!
Before we go into the recipe, make sure you try smaller batches of the recipe. It's just easier to handle smaller batches, and it ensures that the lotion turns out luscious, creamy, and moisturizing! If you want to double this recipe, I would suggest to make the batch twice instead of doubling it! :)
You will LOVE this recipe, and when you try it.....you will not want to go back to store-bought lotions. It is so nice on your skin, and it doesn't feel greasy at all. It absorbs very well & quickly. Plus, you can use it as your base to make your own homemade suncreen! ISN'T THAT FUN!!???
Here's the link to our natural suncreen recipe. It is SOOOOOOOOOO EASY!!!!! It will not only be incredible for your skin, but it is a fraction of the cost. It's so safe, you can use it on the whole family INCLUDING babies :) That's what we use on our son. The best part is....that you literally add one more secret ingredient to turn this lotion in to a sunscreen :)
HERE'S THE RECIPE!
1 TBSP OF BEESWAX PELLETS. We get ours HERE. We like to use the pellets because it makes it really easy to measure as well as they melt a lot easier. 1 TBSP OF UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER. Make sure to get unrefined because many companies use hexane to extract shea butter. NOT something you want on your skin. We get ours here.
1/2 CUP OF LIQUID OIL (make sure to not use coconut oil because it solidifies. We use grapeseed oil because that's what we have on hand. You can use sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, flax oil, olive oil, avocado oil, and pretty much any oil that doesn't harden when cool). We get ours here.
2/3 CUP OF WATER + 2 TBSP
Essential Oils (OPTIONAL) If you want to scent your lotion, you can add 10-20 drops of essential oils. Lavender is one of our favorites to use! :) We love using the Young Living brand for their purity.
1. Pre-measure ALL of your ingredients!
2. Place 2/3 C Water (plus about 2 more tbsp) in a pot. Let water boil and after it boils, let it cool to about where you can barely touch it. Hot enough to be HOT, but don't burn yourself :). 3. In a separate pan, melt shea butter and beeswax on LOW Heat. Once they are both melted, add your 1/2 C of oil of choice.
4. Once all melted, turn off heat and let it cool just to where you can touch it without burning yourself :)
5. THIS IS THE FUN PART: You can use an blender, food processor, or immersion blender for this part. Make sure you have a deep enough bowl or jar if you are going to use an immersion blender (which is what we use). You don't want to splatter the hot oil everywhere.
Place hot oil mixture in deep bowl, jar, or anything where you can use the immersion blender. Blend the oil mixture for 30 seconds just to mix it all thoroughly. Add the hot water mixture to the hot oil mixture.
*You want both of them to be about the same temperature in order for them to emulsify properly. Blend it with the immersion blender little by little until the mixture comes together and looks like mayonnaise.
6. Once mixture is completely emulsified, let it sit to cool. It is normal if the mixture separates until it cools. Just keep blending it. Keep checking it, and blend it as needed until mixture is cool.
7. IF YOU FEEL LIKE ALL OF THE DIRECTIONS WERE COMPLICATED DON'T WORRY! :) If it all goes wrong, just heat up the oil and water mixture and re-blend it. You will have the best lotion EVER! You will just LOVE IT! :)
Don't be intimidated by the directions. This really is a quick and easy recipe to make! It makes for a GREAT homemade gift! Your family and friends will love it!
Please let us know if you have any comments or questions! We are happy to answer any questions you may have.